Saturday, June 18, 2016

15 Fixes

I placed a Delta on four of the fifteen fixes which means I thought the statements needed revising.

#1. A grade should measure a student's achievement or growth. Sometimes a participation grade is useful when giving students a grade on how they participated in an activity during a class.
I'd revise the statement to read:
Don't base grades only on achievement, since effort and participation do matter when evaluating student performance in a classroom setting.

#10. My question here is who determines what is a quality assessment? This is usually the teacher's discretion. I think the statement is too wordy and doesn't make sense.
I'd revise the statement to read:
Don't only rely on quality assessments based on the standards. Use a variety of ways to assess a student's understanding.

#13. Grades should be a combination of formative and summative assessments.
I'd revise the statement to read:
Don't rely only on summative assessments since formative assessments can be a means to measure understanding.

#15. Students can be involved in assessing themselves, but letting students determine their grades would not work in every instance.
I'd revise the statement to read:
Don't include students in the grading process on a regular basis. Students can play a key role occasionally in the grading process. For instance, they can evaluate their own achievement on a group project.


No comments:

Post a Comment